Thursday, May 07, 2009

Gotcha running Subversion server on Windows Server 2008

I recently set up a new server in our office which should among other things act as a Subversion server.

I made a typical Windows 2008 Standard x64 installation and added only the Application Server role since we may run some ASP.NET applications on it.

I then started the Subversion installation by donwloading the SlikSvn command line package and installed it. I then added svnserve as a service using the excellent instructions on http://www.evanclosson.com/devlog/subversiononservercore. I found out that sc is VERY picky about casing and that there should be ONE whitespace after each equals sign.

When I started the service, I found out that I could not connect to it using TortoiseSVN from any other machine (I did not want to install TortoiseSVN on the server since I want the server to be as clean as possible). I then checked all firewall settings and so on since I thought that it might be a blocked port that was causing the problem, but I could not find any problems.

I then tried using svn from the command-line, and that did work if I specified the host as hostname, but not with IP 127.0.0.1. After som googling (is that a verb?), I found that by default, svnserver only listen to default protocol, which seems to be IPv6 och Windows Server 2008. I I the added the svnserve option --listen-port 0.0.0.0, Subversion started listening to IPv4 requests.

So currently I have the following binPath argument to sc create:

"C:\Program Files\SlikSvn\bin\svnserve.exe" --service --listen-host 0.0.0.0 -r d:\proj

I guess this problem/issue/quirk is the same on Vista as well.

No comments: